Serves : 8 pieces
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
- 400g potatoes (grated)
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp of plain flour
- 4 tbsp of corn starch
- 3 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 tsp of onion powder
- 1/3 tsp of roc salt
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1/6 tsp of chilly powder (optional)
- 5mm deep sunflower oil and peanut oil for deep fry the hash browns
Peel the potatoes. I used 2 American bake potatoes about 400g.
Then grate the potatoes.
Wash the grated potatoes twice with cold water to get rid of the excessive starch.
Drain the grated potatoes and put them into a fabric bag or a tea towel.
Squeeze out the water.
Dry the grated potatoes with kitchen paper.
In another bowl, mix the plain flour, corn starch, grated Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, rock salt, ground black pepper and chilly powder (optional) together.
Coast the grated potatoes with the dry ingredients mixture.
Then crack a large egg in the grated potatoes.
Divide the grated potatoes mixture into 8 equal portions.
Heat up 5mm deep of sunflower oil and peanut oil and put the grated potatoes mixture in the hot oil.
Shape the hash brown with two forks in the pan.
Flip the hash brown with two spatulas to avoid burning by the hot oil.
Use medium low heat to brown both sides of the hash brown.
Let the hash browns to rest on a rack for 5 to 10 mins before serving. Yummy!
- You need to use at least 5mm deep oil to fry the hash browns or they won’t be very crunchy.
- I use sunflower oil and peanut oil because the smoking point is high.
- Add some corn starch would make the hash brown extra crispy.
Check out the cooking video