Serves : 4 servings
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
- 1 cup of couscous
- 1 ¼ cup of boiling hot water
- 200g of mushrooms
- 200g of cherry tomatoes
- 100g of asparagus
- 1 small avocado
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of chopped coriander
- 1 small lemon zest
- 1/2 small lemon juice
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- ¼ tsp of ground black pepper
Clean and slice the mushrooms.
Wash and cut the asparagus into about 4 cm long.
Wash and quarter the cherry tomatoes.
Open the avocado and get rid of the stone.
Cut the avocado into cubes.
Wash and chop the coriander.
Peel and chop the garlic.
Put couscous in a big bowl and add 1.25 cup of boiling hot water. Mix well and cover it with a tea towel.
Fluff the couscous after 5 minutes and set aside.
Heat up a pan, add a dash of olive oil. Add half of the chopped garlic in. Once you can smell the garlic, add the asparagus. It only takes 2 to 3 minutes to cook the asparagus depends on the thickness. Season with a bit of ground pepper and set aside.
Wipe the pan clean with kitchen roll. Add a dash of olive oil and the rest of the chopped garlic. Once you smell the fragrance of the garlic, add the sliced mushrooms. Season the mushrooms with a bit of freshly ground pepper. Take the mushrooms out after 2 minutes.
Mix a dressing with lemon zest, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
Add all the vegetables to the couscous.
Sprinkle the chopped coriander on top and pour the dressing on.
Mix all the ingredients up before serving.
Sometimes, I would serve this salad with some pan fried salmon or boiled eggs on top. What a healthy and delicious lunch idea! 😛
- Check the cooking guidelines on the packing of the couscous. Some couscous need 1 cup of hot water, but some may need a little bit more. The one I use is 1 cup of couscous need 1 1/4 cups of hot water.
- Asparagus and mushrooms are easy to cook. Once the colour has changed to a darker green or yellowish brown, it should be done. Don’t over cook your vegetables.
- Make sure you use lemon zest. Taste great!
- This salad is a great school lunch box recipe too!