Shakshuka is a Middle-East breakfast. It is poached eggs in a tomato sauce with a lot of spices. It should be spicy because of cayenne pepper and chillies. I took out all the spicy ingredients and add some beans because I have two young kids. They absolutely love it!
Serves : 4 Servings
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
- 4 sliced of whole wheat bread
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (brush on the toast and the pan)
Tomato Poached Eggs (Shakshuka):
- 4 large eggs
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- half of a big onion or 1 small one
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 150g of canned cannellini beans
- ¼ cup of organic chicken broth
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- ¼ tsp of ground black pepper
- ½ tsp of rock salt
- fresh lemon juice (half lemon)
- ¼ cup of chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
You could make toast soldiers and Shakshuka at the same time, so they could serve them hot at the same time. I like brown toast because there is more flavour and texture. Cut the sliced bread into thick strips and brush extra virgin olive oil on both sides.
Heat up a pan and add some extra virgin olive oil inside, then fry the toast soldiers in low heat until crispy on all sides.
Heat up a pan and add some extra virgin olive oil. Then put the chopped onion, parsley stark and sliced garlic inside the pan and stir fry briefly.
Then add 1 tsp of ground cumin and 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika. If you cook for adults, you could add 1/2 tsp of caynne pepper now.
Keep frying the chopped onion with low heat until its soft.
Then add cherry tomatoes, 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp of rock salt and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
When the cherry tomatoes start to wrinkle, pour in 1/4 cup of organic chicken broth and fresh lemon juice.
My daughter doesn’t like poached eggs, so I add some cannellini beans for her.
Mix the canned cannellini beans in the sauce gently, put the lid on and cook for 3 to 4 minutes with low heat.
The cherry tomatoes should be soften after 4 minutes. You can break half of the tomatoes with a spatula to release more juice in the sauce and left the rest to pop in your mouth. Delicious! 😛
Make 4 holes in the Shakshuka and pour the eggs inside the holes. I prefer cracking all the eggs into 4 cups in advance, so it is easier to control the cooking time of the poached eggs.
Season the eggs with salt and ground black pepper and put the lid on for another 3 minutes or until the egg white is cloudy.
Sprinkle some smoked paprika and chopped parsley on.
Serve the Shakshuka with toast soldiers. Yum!
- Use olive oil to fry the toast soldiers or a mix of olive oil and butter.
- Use whole wheat bread with some seeds, so the toast soldiers are more crispy and flavourful.
- Watch out the time when you poach the eggs. 3 minutes with low heat is perfect. The hot soup will keep cooking the eggs for a bit, so do not cook for more than 3 minutes.
Check out the cooking video